Eureka Video Widget

Friday, February 8, 2008

Pop Reading

Here is my confession: I have trouble communicating at a popular level. I often hear that speak over people's heads.

In an effort to remedy that situation, I am going to start reading more lay level books and less academia for awhile. I recently read one lay level book, and there were times I thought my head was going to explode. (But there were times it was really inspiring.)

I am very fond of John Ortberg and Chuck Swindoll on the lay level. Other than that, I can't really think of anyone.

Can you help me out? Who do you enjoy reading on a popular level?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray Comfort is a blast to read and a great communicator. His theology drives me nuts, but he's a very gifted writer.

Philip (sp?) Yancey is a great writer at the popular level. His writing is not dumbed down though. It is generally fairly deep. My wife just finished What's So Amazing About Grace? for the second time and it transformed her life.

Yancey alternats the back page column in Christianity Today with Chuck Colson. I haven't read any of his books, but I really like his radio bits and his articles.

That's all I've got for now. If I think of any others, I'll swing back for another comment.

Pascalian Awakenings said...

Thanks Ryan, that's a lot of help.

James Pate said...

Well, I once liked Philip Yancey, but I'm having trouble getting into his recent book on prayer. I guess people can like different things at different times.