Eureka Video Widget

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blogging and Christian Ethics#1

I often read Christian blogs. Some of these are from trained theologians, some are from ministers, some are from budding theologians, and some are from the laity. I'm not a theological snob.

Here is the trend that is bothering me: the discourse in Christian blogs seems sub-Christian. By discourse, I include the content of the post and the comments from the readers. I do acknowledge that there no way to monitor who comes to or creates blogs.

Let me unpack this.

Presumptions are made about others views with little effort or research to verify the veracity of such statements. Several months ago I was on a blog where a popular TV evangelist was being attacked for what was supposedly not in his book. I took it upon myself to go to a nearby Barnes and Noble and scan this book. Within five minutes of reading, I was able to refute the accusations. That is just one example of many I can think of.

Is it within acceptable Christian conduct to misstate another Christians views, attacking their faith, while having made little or no effort to ascertain the truth?

In the interest of your time, more on ethics and blogging will come in another post.

2 comments:

Bryan L said...

Good topic. I think discussing the blog owners responsibility in moderating and policing comments would also be interesting.
I have recently decided to no longer comment at a particular blog (unless it really straightens up and begins getting moderated better and more fairly) and am even consider taking it off my Google Reader so that I am no longer updated about it.

Bryan

Pascalian Awakenings said...

Thanks...the moderators responsibility is a good topic.